VPN On Demand not working anymore

Support requests about VPN Client Pro
user34506978

Re: VPN On Demand not working anymore

Post by user34506978 »

Hey, how cool, thanks a lot, this is working! Now, that connect on demand is working, can I ask if it is normal, that the android System 'VPN connection on' symbol (the key) is always active, while the on demand monitor is on? Also in the Android connection settings, the phone is displaying that it is connected to the VPN.
user34506978

Post by user34506978 »

Hmmm... there are also issues here regarding connectivity when on demand monitor is running but wifi is disabled. In that case, there are no routes and no connectivity outside of on demand networks. As soon as on demand is connected, the rest is working as well through the mobile data connection.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

user34506978 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:48 pm Hey, how cool, thanks a lot, this is working! Now, that connect on demand is working, can I ask if it is normal, that the android System 'VPN connection on' symbol (the key) is always active, while the on demand monitor is on? Also in the Android connection settings, the phone is displaying that it is connected to the VPN.
To work, the on-demand service uses the VPN APIs to monitor if a packet is sent on the routes set by the user, and then starts the VPN. So the icon shown by android is normal
user34506978 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:09 pm Hmmm... there are also issues here regarding connectivity when on demand monitor is running but wifi is disabled. In that case, there are no routes and no connectivity outside of on demand networks. As soon as on demand is connected, the rest is working as well through the mobile data connection.
There are no known problems of this type. For the on demand service there is no difference between WiFi and Mobile data.
Maybe there is some configuration problem.
Try to check:
  • The routes set for the on demand service. Packets sent to these routes are discarded until the VPN is connected.
  • The VPN log. Here you can see in real time what happens and when the VPN is connected or not.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:34 pm The problem has been fixed, but I'm waiting for the update to be published on Google Play.
The new version 1.00.66 is available on Google Play
Please, update the app.
user34506978

Post by user34506978 »

Hi,

today, I played a little with this today. I can get it to work perfectly on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 on current Firmware with the settings I would suppose. I then created a backup and restored it on the Galaxy S20+ with Android 11 where I can not get it to work. Unfortunately, it still does not work. It does connect on demand as expected and also disconnect after idle timeout according to the set vaule. However, before and after vpn connection, I can not reach anything outside the set on demand routes. During the vpn connection, I can reach internet resources but the on demand routes and the vpn connection allowed ips do not allow anything outside the resources at home. It seems to get routed over the cellular connection, as intended. But only, as long as the VPN Connection is alive.

Settings are as ecpected:

- on demand routes are set to desired resources (192.168.128.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24)
- wireguard vpn has one these routes in allowed IPs

The wireguard connection is set to connect via udp4. I would speculate that it might have to do with the interface naming in the android versions / devices?

Again, this is working perfectly fine on the Galaxy Tab S6 on Android 10. Attached are the routes of both devides before connection. Can I show you anything else? Can you confirm that / if it works with the S20 on Android 11 (which is out now)?

Thank you very much and best regards :)
Routes_before_on_demand_connect_Tab_S6_Android_10.jpg
Routes_before_on_demand_connect_Tab_S6_Android_10.jpg (90.86 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
Routes_before_on_demand_connect_S20_Android_11.jpg
Routes_before_on_demand_connect_S20_Android_11.jpg (120.42 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Maybe the problem happens because by defalut the IPv6 is blocked until is added at least one IPv6 route.
Please, can you follow these steps and tell me if the problem is solved?
  • start the app
  • tap on top left icon
  • tap on "Connect on demand" button
  • tap on configured VPN list entry
  • tap on "+" button
  • select "IPv6"
  • set destination to "fc00::1/128" and tap on OK button
    this is a dummy route used only to enable the IPv6 protocol
  • save the changes
This is only a test, in the next app version the IPv6 will be enabled also without any IPv6 route
user34506978

Post by user34506978 »

Thanks a lot, that did it! It is now set up in a perfect way. I only had to silence all the notifications but you made many options here, which is great.

Thanks again and best regards!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great!
Thank you very much for the feedback.
The problem will be fixed in the next release, so you won't need to add the IPv6 route "fc00::1/128".

Have a nice evening
user34506978

Post by user34506978 »

Thank you!