Wireguard handshake problems in Mesh WiFis

Support requests about VPN Client Pro
Geier97332

Wireguard handshake problems in Mesh WiFis

Post by Geier97332 »

Hi,

first of all thank you for your amazing work. This app is absolutely brilliant.

But I have a problem with wireguard handshakes in Mesh WiFis. I configured my Pixel 4a phone to automatically turn on wireguard if I'm away from my home network. It turns on wireguard without any problems with mobile connection or in Wifis with only one Access Point.
If I'm in a Mesh WiFi roaming between the APs the connection does only work when I'm connected to the "first" AP. When I'm connected to another AP the handshake doesn't complete and it tries this forever. I can solve this problem by turning off and on the wireguard connection manually.

I have this problem also with my tablet and in different Mesh WiFis.

Do you have any solution for this problem?

Keepalive is set to 25 and resolve hostname before reconnecting is set to active because I have a changing public IP.

Maybe a quick solution would be to automatically restart the wireguard connection after defined handshake attempts.

Thanks and best regards
Sebastian
admin
Site Admin

Re: Wireguard handshake problems in Mesh WiFis

Post by admin »

Hello,

please, try to follow these steps:
  • start the app
  • tap on top left icon
  • tap on "GLOBAL OPTIONS" button
  • tap on "VPN Options"
  • select "Restart WireGuard connection when connectivity change"
  • save the changes
  • restart the VPN
Geier97332

Post by Geier97332 »

Hi,

I already tried this, without success.

I think this doesn't work because roaming between APs isn't a connectivity change. I don't lose the connection to the Wifi/SSID.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

thank you for the feedback.
I'll think about it...
Geier97332

Post by Geier97332 »

I'm at IKEA right now and there it's working.

I think the problem only appears when you are in a Mesh network with Wifi Repeaters. In a network built with APs connected over LAN bridges it does work.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please try the new release 1.01.35
Geier97332

Post by Geier97332 »

I can test test it tomorrow and will give you a feedback.

Thanks!
hvbakel

Post by hvbakel »

I'm not sure if there was a change in version 1.01.35 related to WiFi connectivity in relation to this thread, but after upgrading to 1.01.35 I am unable to connect to wireguard over wifi when the option "Restart WireGuard connection when connectivity change" is selected in global options. When on Wifi and trying to establish a wireguard vpn, it now triggers a connect/disconnect storm and eventually the connection won't be established. If I were to venture a guess perhaps establishing the connection is somehow seen as a connectivity change, triggering a restart loop? If I deselect the "Restart WireGuard connection when connectivity change" option the connection establishes, but then wireguard will not restart the connection when roaming between different networks. Everything was working fine in 1.01.34 and before.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hvbakel wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:39 pm I'm not sure if there was a change in version 1.01.35 related to WiFi connectivity in relation to this thread, but after upgrading to 1.01.35 I am unable to connect to wireguard over wifi when the option "Restart WireGuard connection when connectivity change" is selected in global options. When on Wifi and trying to establish a wireguard vpn, it now triggers a connect/disconnect storm and eventually the connection won't be established. If I were to venture a guess perhaps establishing the connection is somehow seen as a connectivity change, triggering a restart loop? If I deselect the "Restart WireGuard connection when connectivity change" option the connection establishes, but then wireguard will not restart the connection when roaming between different networks. Everything was working fine in 1.01.34 and before.
Thank you for the bug report.
The problem will be fixed soon at possible...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The new version 1.01.36 should fix the problem.
However, to avoid loops, WiFi connectivity change events received in less than 1500 milliseconds are ignored.