DNS issues post v1.00.93

Support requests about VPN Client Pro
User1212021

DNS issues post v1.00.93

Post by User1212021 »

Since the 2021/11/16 update I appear to be having issues resolving DNS via VPN. It's possible this is unrelated to the app but here are the current details I've gathered:

-worked before up through the previous version, but I just haven't used it since the update so could be unrelated
-The log and routing tabs show the correct VPN DNS servers and those addresses are reachable via icmp over the connected VPN
-same issue for all 3 unrelated SSTP VPN profiles I use this app for
-can reach ip's via VPN and can pass traffic via TCP, etc
-hostnames that do not require the VPN DNS servers still resolve properly while connected, it's like it's not passing the requests to the correct DNS servers at all
admin
Site Admin

Re: DNS issues post v1.00.93

Post by admin »

Hello,

in version 1.00.93 no changes have been made in DNS management.
Maybe the problem is related to the Private/Secure DNS options in Android's settings and/or Internet browser app (Chrome, Opera, etc.)
When the Private/Secure DNS option is used, the DNS of the VPN are not used.
User1212021

Post by User1212021 »

I figured no DNS changes were made, but I brought it up because it could be a bug or something unintended.
I am not using Private/Secure DNS at all on the phone. I agree there's probably something broken on my phone though, thanks for responding.
User1212021

Post by User1212021 »

Just a heads up that I never did find a resolution with this other than reverting to a previous version of VPN Client Pro, which corrected the issue. A recent update of your app resolved the issue now, though I'm not sure which version it was.

Did you end up finding something that would've cause this issue directly?

It works properly now on the latest version. Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for the feedback.
In the meantime, many releases have been released.
I took a look and found only one change (concerning the DNS over HTTPS option) that could somehow create a similar problem, but only affected the IPv6 protocol and only under very special conditions.